4 January 2007

Sloe, sloe, quick, quick, sloe - Part 2

Just a few days short of 4 months in the bottle I have decanted the sloe gin from the berries and into clean bottles.

Ready to drink
I didn't have any filter paper to hand tonight, so instead simply poured the liquid off using a kitchen sieve to catch the berries and part of berries.

In the end the liquid contents came to a full Gilbey's bottle and an inch or so left over in the other bottle. I even squashed the berries to extract as much of the liquid as possible.

Of course, after the photo I had to have a small taste, for medicinal purposes only, of course.

Lovely. Needs a bit more time until it is as smooth as the other bottle that Claire's Dad made three years ago and that we have only a little of.

I'm especially fond of the Gilbey's bottle as for 3 years in the late 80's and upto December 1991 I worked for Grand Metropolitan in Harlow, in what was the former IDV computer centre.





Across the road were the huge bonded warehouses and in the town itself was Gilbey's Gin Distillery... Many of the people I worked with had worked for them for years as Gilbey's was one of, if not the largest employer in the town.

No comments: