3 April 2018

Book Review: The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #29)

With Harry Bosch heading towards retirement, even from his part-time volunteer detective role in San Fernando, we need a new cop to take over the baton.  And Michael Connolly brings us Renée Ballard.

The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #29)The Late Show by Michael Connelly

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I had read the first few chapters as they are appended to the end of the last few Bosch and Haller books and so when I was finished with them I downloaded this one to my Kindle.

I guess with Bosch getting close to his pension that we needed a new character to fill the void. Ballard looks to be an inspired choice.

At first I have to admit that she isn't all that likeable. In fact she comes over as the PITA very common in many US TV crime'/cop programmes. Gradually you warm to her but even by the end of the book, and she has solved the murders she is still pretty unlikable. I guess as her character develops in future books then we might see a change.

As usual the book is up to Connolly's fine writing and I look forward to the next installment.....



View all my reviews


No comments: